To say this has been an unusual political campaign season would be an understatement. Every news report of candidates hurling accusations and slurs makes the knots in my stomach tighten a little bit more. These folks aren’t just slinging mud—they’re rolling around like tawdry mud wrestlers while the gathering crowd works themselves into a frenzy. And the more coarse and vulgar the contenders, the more deafening the throng of onlookers.
If you’re like me, you are sick. Of. It.
What is happening to our beloved country? Would the men and women who sacrificed their lives—breaking away from religious persecution—to create a new nation 240 years ago even recognize the present America?
Can you imagine their heartbreak?
I admit that I have been overwhelmed by the state of our union. I have prayed, Lord, what are You doing?
He has directed me to His Word—the source of all hope, wisdom, and peace. And in spite of the chaos around us, all is not lost! Our Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer is in control. He is not surprised or confused by the political landscape in the good ‘ole USA.
When we’re tempted to become discouraged by our earthly leaders, here are 5 verses to tuck in our hearts and minds:
- Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails. (Proverbs 19:21 NIV)
- …that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting people may know there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things. (Isaiah 45:6,7 NIV)
- For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations. (Psalm 22:28 ESV)
- In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (Job 12:10 NIV)
- A king’s heart is like streams of water in the Lord’s hand: He directs it wherever He chooses. (Proverb 21:1 HCSB)
Father God, help me to remember that our hope and future rest in You, not on the kings of the earth. Convict my heart to pray for this nation and our leaders. Help me to love like You love and to respect those in authority—whether I agree with them or not. May I remember that in Your hand is the breath of all mankind and that kingship belongs solely to You. I praise You and I thank You for Your perfect peace. I love You, Jesus!
Please join me in praying for our nation. Have a blessed week!
Leigh Ann 🙂
**Lori Roeleveld has an excellent article on keeping a Jesus heart and perspective in this upside-down political season. When you get a moment, check it out!